My SoCal Trip – August 2011

If you did not know, I went to SoCal a few weeks ago.  I haven’t posted anything about traveling for a while so I figured I would take some time to tell you about it.

My niece, Grace, from Texas, was coming to Huntington Beach for her softball tournament so my family thought it would be a good idea to go down and visit her and bring two of her cousins with us so they can get to know each other more.

We left Saturday, July 30th, at 4:30 in the morning and stopped by Six Flags Magic Mountain for a bit.

We met a very tall pirate with an Irish accent.

I didn’t get to ride much of the big rides there because I didn’t want to ride alone, but I did ride Goliath.  I love the first drop because it is very high.  Also, I really like that this roller coaster is very smooth.  The unfortunate part of waiting in line alone is that you don’t have anyone to talk to which means you have to listen . . . I mean eavesdrop on other people’s conversations.  Sadly, the people behind me were not very smart and just got on my nerves because they made ignorant comments about people and had nothing useful to add to have a proper conversation.  Also, one of the girls kept bumping into me and leaning on me without even looking at who she was leaning on and didn’t even apologize for it.  I was like, “Yo! Get out ma bubble! I don’t know you!”

We hung out at DC Universe for a bit because I liked seeing the super heroes and villains from those comic books.  That’s Cameron (Cam) watching the Superman ride.  He was covering his ears because the ride is very loud.  It sounded like a jet blasting off into the sky.

This billboard of Wonder Woman looked just like my sister, Jennifer, because she’s buff.  You know how if some kid get bullied, he says, “I’m gonna have my older brother give you a whoopin’?”  Well, I’m gonna have my sister beat up the bullies because she’s ripped!

Cameron and Jessica by the Batmobile.

We left the park around 8:00 PM and headed to our hotel in Costa Mesa and after we checked in we hit the sack.

In the morning, we got ready for church and after worship service, we had lunch and headed to one of the parks to meet up with my sister-in-law, Lisa, and my niece, Grace.

That’s my mom and Ate Lisa (pronounces Ah-teh, for the non Filipinos.  It means “sister” and it’s a term you use for respect).

So we hung out in the field for a little bit to watch some of Grace’s practice and afterwards, we went out for dinner at The Rainforest Cafe.

That’s Grace on the right.

After the meal, Grace decided to have a root beer float and the root beer was served in a glass bottle.  Because Cam was the youngest, we always picked on him so we told him that it was really beer in the bottle and forced him to drink it.  He was very hesitant, but we kept pushing him.  Even worst, we all took out our camera’s so we could take pictures and send it to his mom to freak her out.

We are such bad influences on him.  After taking a sip, we all laughed at him and he said, “What? I knew it was root beer!”

After dinner, Grace wanted to go swimming, so they visited us at our hotel and she and Cam went swimming while everyone else lounged around.

Look at those lazy bums!  Just kidding!  I know Ate Lisa is going to kill me for putting this up, so if you don’t see another post for several months, you will know what happened to me.

After relaxing by the pool, we headed back up to the room to shower and to call it a night because the next day we were headed to . . . DISNEYLAND!!!

Once again we woke up bright and early, packed our stuff and checked-in to another hotel closer to Disneyland.  After dropping off our stuff, we bought our tickets and waited for the shuttle to pick us up and take us to the park.

Our first ride of the day was Star Tours because we knew the line for that would be huge since it was recently reopened and updated.

Next was Indiana Jones.

While in line, we played around a bit.

After the ride, it was time for lunch.

I had to have my Mickey shaped beignets and mint julep so I guess that was my lunch because I can’t remember what else I ate.


I think Cam had clam chowder in a bread bowl and he stuffed his face with it.  I got him a mint julep for him to try and he didn’t like it.  Oh don’t worry, it didn’t go to waste. Honestly, I was happy he didn’t like it because that meant more for me!

Aww how cute is this?  They match too!

As we made our way to California Adventure, I had to stop by for another sweet treat! This time, I went for the chocolate covered strawberries.  Only Cam and I wanted them and I only gave him one.

We constantly tease Cam that he is so deprived and sheltered because he didn’t know what a lot of the food we had was.  Also, he doesn’t get to eat like this all of the time so we told him to let loose and go crazy!

And he did.  It’s so ironic, he’s munching on everything that is considered unhealthy, yet he is proudly wearing his Herbalife cap.

One of my goals throughout the trip was to get Cam and Jess to ride a big ride so I forced Jess to ride California Screaming with me even though she thought she would cry. Coincidentally, my mom hung out where you could see the trains take off and she ended up standing right where we were on the tracks so she took this progression of pictures:

I love how that little girl behind me looks like she’s passed out!

This is a split second before blast off and Jessie’s face just shows you how scared she was.

She screamed her head off and while I laughed at her during the entire ride.  After the ride, my side was hurting from laughing too much.  In the end, she admitted that she enjoyed it.

After California Screaming, we had some dinner, did some other stuff, and waited in line for World of Color.

After the show, we, and just about everyone else headed back to Disneyland because California Adventure closes earlier than Disneyland.  I thought that by 11:00PM people would be tired and start leaving the park, but it was still so crowded that we actually didn’t have enough time to ride anything good because the last shuttle leaves at 12:30AM. Instead, we did some souvenir shopping before calling it a night.  Plus, I was in pain.  My legs were aching and my thighs were getting chaffed and I could barely walk!  But I couldn’t leave without getting my Dole Whip!  After devouring my last treat of the night, I realized that I forgot to take a picture of it which made me kind of sad.

Once we got back to our hotel room, we fell asleep fast.

Even though my mom, Jess, and Cam were there for one day, I had another day to spend at Disneyland, this time with my friends, but that’s another post.


About ajsrichantra

Simple things make me happy.
This entry was posted in Travels and tagged , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to My SoCal Trip – August 2011

  1. Jennifer Gunter says:

    AJ!! I LOVE THIS! Thank you SO much for shaing, caring, and giving me a HUGE laugh and lots of smiles tonight! Thank you for giving cam such wordly experiences! LOL – xoxo


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s